Update dependancy libs to have
I started this a few days ago,I have a bunch of patches ready for compiling on windows. Couple of things to note though:
This upgrade might not be as easy as it seems on face value.
Given the C++11 requirement, this seems destined for the 2.8 branch (i can't see a way to support it in master where C++11 is still not allowed) so we have some time...
- I got release/x64/msvc2015 to link, but any osl render crashed instantly
Being solved here, assuming it's the issue you found: https://github.com/imageworks/OpenShadingLanguage/pull/810
- debug/x64/msvc2015 i got really weird linker errors relating to some missing utf8to16 conversion functions for opencollada (!?) once resolved the final binary wouldn't run at all due to missing imports in the C runtime dll's
LLVM and OpenCollada contain the same UTF code. In newer LLVM that code has been namespaced, so we should remove the workarounds:
Updated with msvc2015 support for OIIO (2013 i still need to look at further) OSL/CLANG are still to be done.
many of the changes in cycles are because of fighting between windows.h and glog (both define ERROR and glog *REALLY* wants to be first)
2013 worked for us,
2015 had occasional weird codegen issue in cycles, i just don't trust it, so we stuck with 2013.
2017 seems allright, but cuda support kept holding us back, I made D2913 to sidestep that issue and clear the way for an official compiler bump. There's some other minor issues like our boost version is too old to officially support 2017, but it seems happy (even though it's outputting a ton of warnings about this)
I don't see why we couldn't move to 2017 for 2.8
As much as I'd like to simplify things, it seems too early with that percentage.
Practically every other 3D app has been 64 bit only for a while now, but for whatever reason the percentage of Windows 32 bit downloads is still high. Maybe only a small subset of those will support the Blender2.8 OpenGL minimum requirements, but that's difficult to estimate.
I'm gonna see if i can get the needed osl changes into osl before 1.9 goes 'final'