Adjusting the layout for this modifier should be the final part of the modifier UI project for 2.90.
There are a lot of issues with the Multires UI from earlier in 2.90 before the inital change, and also plenty of issues with the current UI:
- The unsubdivide button is the largest.
- It's not clear that apply base is related to reshape.
- The way the subdivision type affects the "Subdivide" button is very confusing.
- It's also not clear that the subdivision type doesn't affect "simple" and "linear" in the same way.
- "Levels" are at the top, but they're not necessarily the most used buttons, especially with the shortcuts in sculpt mode.
- Disorganized, arbitrary appearance.
With this patch, here is an image of the modifier when it has just been added:
And with all of the subpanels expanded (ctrl click on the header does this quickly):
Note the empty space for the "Delete Lower" button that is still planned for 2.90
There will also eventually be more items added to the "Shape" panel, maybe for 2.90