Project: Blender Extensions
Tracker: Py Scripts Contrib
Author(s): Patrick Boelens, CoDEmanX
Script name: Bake UV-Texture to Vertex Colors
Wiki page: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/UV/Bake_Texture_to_Vertex_Colors
SVN Download: https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/trunk/py/scripts/addons/uv_bake_texture_to_vcols.py
- Bakes colors from the active UV Texture from the UV/Image-editor onto the vertices' Vertex Colors based on the position of their UV-coordinates.
- After installing the add-on it should work automagically. ;)
- First, unwrap the model like you normally would.
- Next, load in the image you wish to bake into the UV/Image-editor.
- The color baked to each vertex depends on the position of their UV-coordinates; it takes the color from right underneath it.
- In Vertex Paint Mode, open the Toolshelf and click 'Bake UV Texture to Vertex Colors' under 'Bake'.
Quick test set-up:
- Enable the add-on
- Delete the default cube
- Add a plane
- Enter Edit Mode
- Hit 'U' > 'Unwrap'
- Subdivide the plane a couple of times*
- Enter Vertex Paint Mode
- Hit 'T' to bring up the Toolshelf if it isn't already
- Under 'Bake' click 'Bake UV Texture to Vertex Colors'
*The denser the plane/ mesh, the more detail you'll get. (For cool-looking testing purposes, I'd advise to go up to 7 subdivisions ;) )