"Clear Paths" is actually available in the toolbar object tools - which will clear all selected paths.
Dont know the design decision behind this and looking at http://aligorith.blogspot.de/2012/05/motion-paths-gui-cleanup.html doesnt really mention this issue.
Would make sense to have a button in propertiy editor as well though it would have to work on active (vs. all selected) then, right?
"Motion Paths" vs. "Paths": no strong opinion on that (maybe that was just chosen to save some space?)
OK, I've attached a patch with following changes (still think the bugreport has a point):
- adds a button "Clear Paths" to the Property Editor
- makes both operators "OBJECT_OT_paths_clear" and "OBJECT_OT_paths_update" functionality aware of where it was called from
so when they are called from the Properties Editor they will only operate on the object in this context (and not on all selected)
note: an object might also be pinned in the Property Editor and with this patch it is made sure that the op will operator on THIS pinned object
(which doesnt even need to be selected)
- (also a little change to the panels layout which admittetly "wastes" a little space but groups the settings what to show - this might be debatable...)
- tooltip might need a better phrase
- left the motion path ops relating to bones untouched (they are in the armature context - not a single bone - so should be fine like this?)
- ... style is a little clumsy / some duplicated code (see comments in patch) ...