Operating system and graphics card
Win7 64bit, NVIDIA Quadro 4000, 2 * NVIDIA Geforce 680
Broken: All official Blender Windows builds
Worked: All builds from builder.blender.org
Short description of error
Official Blender builds don't "understand" NTFS symlinks - test builds from builder.blender.org do!
As in UNIX, symlinks in Windows are a very good way to keep paths identical across multiple machines - this is especially useful to integrate Blender into networked Studio workflows.
Symlinks in Windows can per default only be created by the local administrator. Therefor these instructions should be tested with an administrator account or a command prompt window running as administrator. We also need a network share to which the symlink can point to.
In the example below:
- C:\link is the symlink
- \\server\share is the target
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
Based on a (as simple as possible) attached .blend file with minimum amount of steps
- open a command prompt as administrator
- mklink /D C:\link \\server\share
- verify in windows explorer that the link is browesable and pointing to the network share
- open a official release build of blender
- go to file->open
- Select the C: drive
The link should now be visible in Blenders file browser, but it isn't
- now repeat 4-6, but with a testbuild from builder.blender.org
Link is shown in Blender file browser and behaves correctly as if it was a local directory.