Blender has number of rendering subsystems, including Cycles, Internal, Game, OpenGL and FreeStyle. The problem is that work inconsistently, they clutter up the UI in unnecessary ways and have a confusing relationship to one another.
- OpenGL & FreeStyle are currently hard to find and illogically placed (FreeStyle settings are found inside the Internal render properties)
- It's hard to combine FreeStyle with anything other than Internal because it lives inside the Internal renderer
- OpenGL rendering acts differently from Cycles or Internal because it defaults to rendering the current view rather than the active camera.
- OpenGL renderer settings live inside a strange panel inside the Cycles or Internal render properties
Consolidate all the renderers in a single menu and simplify the structure, so that each renderer's settings only appear in the render properties when active.
- Cleans up 3D View headers, and render properties, only showing settings for the active renderer
- Makes all the renderers consistent in their behaviour
- Decouples FreeStyle from Internal so it can be better combined with any other renderer
- Makes it easy to deal with adding more renders (e.g. Lux Render), when each renderer doesn't have to deal with the OpenGL or FreeStyle render settings