Page MenuHome

Discrepancy in release process
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Blender Version
Broken: 2.71 binary release
Worked: 2.71 source tarball

It appears there is an issue with the release process. While at least two features are known to exist in the official 2.71 release source tarball, they do not appear in 2.71 binary releases.

On 16 June commit rB8c16f4c7d0b334b70ec3b01ac1d81d280e9759b1 added
BGE: New Property sensor evaluation types
This patch adds "Less Than" and "Greater Than" evaluation types to the property sensor.

On 13 June commit rB3de3987ea190415d0d088c3917b45f44afb43840 added
Cycles: Add dedicated nodes to split/combine vectors.

According to the blender download page and the 2.71 tag creation - 2.71 was released on 26 June so these two could be expected to be included.

My build from the release tarball has both of these features (I'm on FreeBSD so I don't have an official binary release to test). I have had two separate people say that one of these is not present and a third person confirm that both are not present in a binary release of 2.71

This leads to the question - do the release builds get final bug fixes before release? are any new bugs introduced through other commits that shouldn't be added to release?

Details

Type
Bug

Event Timeline

Shane Ambler (sambler) raised the priority of this task from to Needs Triage by Developer.
Shane Ambler (sambler) updated the task description. (Show Details)
Shane Ambler (sambler) set Type to Bug.

You've got wrong assumption here, only features which existed at the time of rc1 are to be expected in the final release. Only crucial fixes made after the rc1 tag are backported to the final release. And rc1 was created 13th jun.

So the issue is that the source tarball is created from the master branch, not the release tag.

Bastien Montagne (mont29) lowered the priority of this task from Needs Triage by Developer to Normal.Aug 1 2014, 1:12 PM

I use a perl script to generate the files and it does basically the following:
$VERSION = "v2.71"
git clone --recursive git://git.blender.org/blender.git blender-$VERSION
cd blender-$VERSION;git fetch --tags
git submodule foreach git fetch --tags
git checkout $VERSION
git submodule update --recursive

rm -rf blender-$VERSION/.git blender-$VERSION/.???*
/bin/tar cfvz blender-$VERSION.tar.gz blender-$VERSION

I'll check it to see whats going on.

I'm not entirely sure what happened here. I reran the script again and it produced a tar file that is
different than the current one. I took a look at two files from the mentioned patches and it is
indeed different.

When I check the timestamp on the file:

ls -ld blender-2.71.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mein wheel 57120144 Jun 27 14:23 blender-2.71.tar.gz

my guess is that I maybe ran the tar earlier than the tag, or there were changes made to the tag after
the tagging later... In general though the sources are created from the tag. since we remove the
.git dir from the source before uploading it, I can't do much more debugging. I'm open to suggestions on how to change things to avoid issues in the future though.

I'm going to update the source now so that it matches whats tagged.

Kent

Kent Mein (sirdude) closed this task as Resolved.Aug 7 2014, 7:07 PM

I resolved this, I've updated the source and I'll add a step to make sure the tag is there before uploading just to be safe.