Operating system and graphics card
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 with latest drivers as of yesterday
I am using CPU for Cycles renders.
1.5 TB Hard Drive
12 GB of RAM
Broken: Blender 2.76 RC1 and RC2 e24ea81 2015-09-23 14:02
Short description of error
I have a model that saves as a 17 MB blend file. It is mostly simple procedural materials (4 or fewer nodes each) with only three small image textures. If I try to use the Blender file browser to add an image texture and open my root image texture folder that has 212 individual images plus 58 subfolders with images), Blender crashes.
If I manually move the image textures I want to use from the root image texture folder to a new folder with only a few images (about 25) the textures will load OK.
The same thing happened with my root HDR folder that has a collection of 408 individual HDR, IBL, IES files except the first time I opened the HDR root folder, the Blender file browser locked up for about 30 minutes before crashing. On subsequent attempts, Blender crashes immediately after opening the root HDR folder.
I've tried uninstalling Blender, deleting all residual folders and files and reinstalling Blender 2.76 RC2 and experience the same problem.
It appears that there is a limit to the number of images that the Blender file browser can handle. I did not experience this problem with Blender versions 2.75a and earlier.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Open with Blender's default cube.
- Create a new Diffuse material
- Change to Edit Mode and UV unwarp the cube
- In the Node Editor, add a Texture Image Node and connect it to the Diffused Node
- Click the open button and the File Browser opens.
- Navigate to my root image texture folder ( 212 image files plus 58 subfolders with images in them) and open the folder.
- The folder opens for about 5 seconds and then Blender crashes.
Perform the same steps with a folder with only 25 images, and it loads the image without any problem.