Custom Manipulators: New Transform Manipulator (Design)
The current transform Manipulator is quite old and misses some industry standard features. Within the currently ongoing Custom Manipulator Project, we have the chance to redesign it from scratch with a more advanced feature set in mind.
A rewrite of the transform manipulator was already done in the wiggly-widgets branch. It’s similar to the old manipulator but has a couple of new features:
- 2-axes constrained widgets (aka planar widgets)
- Mouse hover highlight
- Dragged axis stays visible during translate/scale
- Ghost widget indicates initial widget position during translate
- Arc overlay indicates rotation value
- Rotation manipulator: Use trackball rotation when clicking inside of outer white circle, but not on an axis directly
- 2D transform manipulator for image editor
The work done for this can be tested in the wiggly-widgets branch, but be aware that it's not considered stable yet.
Call for Designs
To continue the transform manipulator rewrite and to slowly move things to a final phase, I need people to help me creating a final design. You can help by creating proposals or mockups.
It might help to split the discussion up into 3 different topics:
- Visual Appearance
This task will be updated as discussions evolve.