here a list of defaults I would change for Blender 2.77.
Done (already commited):
- Samples (final render): Would increase from 10 to 50 or 100. Especially beginners often wonder why their image is super noisy, and you barely ever stick to the 10 samples anyway.
- Filter: Change from Gaussian to Blackmann-Harris, it's a bit better as seen in Example images in D1453. Not sure we have to adjust the default Width then?
- Tile Order: Change default to Hilbert Spiral. This one is slightly faster than the current Center method.
- Volume Sampling: Default to "Multiple Importance", rather than "Distance". The best of both worlds.
- Enable MIS for lamps by default. This one might be a bit controversial, but I have seen people who missed Caustics / light through Glass and couldn't figure out why they are missing.
- World MIS: Enable this per default. We can auto disable the feature internally, if we don't have an HDR or a Texture attached to the Background node, so there will be no performance loss for simple scenes. This option could even be removed in the future, but that's for another time.
- World MIS samples: Decrease to 1, would be consistent with Lamp samples, and the world is just another light type.
- World Volume sampling: Also change to Multiple Importance? (Defaults to Equiangular atm)
- Ambient Occlusion Distance: Needs more discussion.
- Make spatial splits the default (needs more work first, Sergey will check).