Blender users have many desires for improvements to the Bevel tool and Modifier. This task is for exploring priorities for implementing those, as well as designs for doing so.
Some current TODOs and feature requests
- generalize to handle several manifold sheets touching at a point (see T34678).
- improve clamping code (see T38871).
- more options, e.g., spline spec for profile shape (see T40722) and vertex blends with setbacks.
- treat more cases like "pipe" to avoid bulges (see T40258)
- option to have bevel not create n-gons (see bf-funboard thread)
- sometimes leaves degenerate geometry (T48174)
- tapered bevel influence by vertex weight - see https://rightclickselect.com/p/modeling/Wkbbbc/bevel-modifier-influenced-by-vertex-weight. Also T62739 where method isn't suggested -- could also let user set different widths at the two ends of a bevel.
- merging of vertices that coincide after beveling (T61214)
- better way of specifying vertices in modifier, and even better, a way of specifying edges (T62649) (edge group?)
- option to make vertex group out of all vertices created in bevel
- method to have bevel modifier affect curve objects
- have angle limit method available in tool (as is already in modifier)
- have clamp be local rather than global (or in addition to global?)
- "support loop" option - extra loop of edges flat on adjacent faces
- use bevel-like code to add new option to extrude (edge, vertex) that keeps geometry manifold (billrey idea in GSoC 2018 thread)
- vertex mesh that has the effect of booleaning the edge profiles to have the effect of real-world material removal
- profile superellipse arc should not use quarter-ellipse arc always, but rather rather the segment that hits adjacent faces tangentwise
- beveling a face as an option in addition to beveling edges and vertices (starts to look like inset)
- width method like Percent but where absolute distance along adjacent edges is equal to spec instead of percentage
- option to round the terminal edge triangle
- special case segments=2, profile=1 case to avoid diagonal edges on cube corners when smaller and large widths mixed
Following comments will have some initial explorations of the problems and designs for solving each of these.