Blender users have many desires for improvements to the Bevel tool and Modifier. This task is for exploring priorities for implementing those, as well as designs for doing so.
Some current TODOs and feature requests
- better handling of profile=1, profile=0.25, and implement profile=0 cases (see T39132 and T38458 and T40278).
- generalize to handle several manifold sheets touching at a point (see T34678).
- improve clamping code (see T38871).
- more options, e.g., spline spec for profile shape (see T40722) and vertex blends with setbacks.
- treat more cases like "pipe" to avoid bulges (see T40258)
- option to have bevel not create n-gons (see bf-funboard thread)
- sometimes leaves degenerate geometry (T48174)
- a "harden normals" option - see https://rightclickselect.com/p/modeling/gkbbbc/harden-normals-option-in-bevel-modifier
- tapered bevel influence by vertex weight - see https://rightclickselect.com/p/modeling/Wkbbbc/bevel-modifier-influenced-by-vertex-weight
- fix curvature discontinuity in general case of corner mesh (T40075)
Following comments will have some initial explorations of the problems and designs for solving each of these.