Short description of error
I've read other bug reports, I still don't understand what happens to a model's X/Y/Z axis during import/export to OBJ
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- build a model facing X, with Z up (Blender default)
- Export with X the same as viewport and Y as UP (for Maya and Three.js): X forward, Y up
- Import into Maya or Three.js
- Result: model is facing Y, instead of X, Z is UP correctly
- Import back into Blender with same settings (X forward, Y up) and it's facing X (correctly)
I can confirm that exporting with Z forward when X forward in viewport, or X forward when Y forward in viewport yields correct results.
This tells me that there's an extra transform happening during import/export which looks like a bug (we haven't seen such behavior from clients using Maya or 3DS). When we tell our clients to give us models exported as Y is UP and X is forward, we expect them to work, but they require manual transforms, which impacts our business negatively.
I've confirmed that exporting/importing collada doesn't have this issue.
StackOverflow question with images here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41640704/three-js-obj-importer-displays-model-facing-the-wrong-way
Files here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubcxqp9bc4pnr6e/Models.zip?dl=0
Something tells me there's an extra X/Y flip that happens on import export that I don't see in other tools, like Maya, Max, etc