Suse Leap 42.1
NVidia GTX 560ti (official drivers)
Broken: seems to be all 2.78 (linux x86_64 glibc 2.19) buildbot versions at least as far back as Sep 27th 2016 (7f76f6f).
Worked: buildbot 2.77 from Aug 25th 2016 (d99c513)
Short description of error
Bit of a weird one as the official releases don't have this issue.
- any pixel in the UV/Image editor above ~9000.0 displays as black with a CM value of 0.0
- same problem with imported high dynamic range .hdr/.exr files or internally rendered scenes
- issue goes away after changing the colour management Display Device from sRGB to any other option
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- download and open in the image editor:
- alternatively, an emit shader to RGB value of 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 and emit to >9000.0 and render
Edit1: issue was also confirmed by a user in #blendercoders with one of their personal builds on Debian
Edit2: the problem also goes away if the custom filmic ocio files are used: https://github.com/sobotka/filmic-blender
Edit3: It doesn't actually fail at a specific pixel threshold, but alternates. Can be tested by additive painting on a blank image with (20001.0f) background