Win10 x64 1703, nVidia GTX 780 3GB, latest drivers
Short description of error
I noticed that Blender becomes totally unresponsive (you will have to kill it in the task manager) if you add lots of objects to a scene and there's an Outliner in your layout showing either the scene(s) or groups. In my case it started when I imported a scene with over 32.000 objects all sharing the same mesh data. I attached this scene here.
As long as you don't have any Outliner open or it's set to e.g. show "Orphan Data" Blender handles all these objects like a pro. Cycles starts rendering within seconds, the viewport is responsive at least as long as it's set to "Bounding Box" with my old graphics card. It's only the Outliner that causes the problem.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Load the attached blend file. This will take a while. Make sure you choose to a) "Load UI" or b) load it with a layout without any Outliner open otherwise you can most likely kill Blender because it won't react any more.
- If you loaded the UI just switch the Outliner from "Orphan Data" to "Current Scene".
- If you opened the blend file with your own layout without any Outliner just add an Outliner and make sure it's set to e.g. "Current Scene".
- Watch the blue wheel spinning or whatever your OS does when a task is unresponsive.
- Grab a coffee... wait... drink a beer... wait... sleep... wait... wake up again and kill Blender ;)