Windows 10 x64, Radeon rx470
2.79 testbuild1 64bit
Short description of error
Rendering an object with the new principled shader seems to do... bad things to my computer. Rendering with my cpu has the end result of Blender locking up and no longer using cpu as reported by task manager. Rendering on my GPU has the end result of blender crashing OR my computer crashing, with a BSOD the first time, but not the second or the third.
I Tried it on both CPU and GPU a few times. It happens every time with the provided .blend file. If the resolution is set to 50% it completes with hiccups.
On both the CPU and GPU it renders a number of tiles perfectly fine. Then, the Blender freezes for around 30 seconds. Then it resumes, and more tiles have been rendered as though it never stopped. If the resolution was at 50% it is now done rendering, and no crash occurs. Then, it freezes again, but this time I can't move the mouse. Otherwise, the monitor goes black, reporting no signal. Sometimes, around a minute later, the screen comes back on with more rendered tiles. If it's not done yet, it stays locked up for another minute. If it was on CPU, windows recovers and blender has a white not responding screen. If it was on GPU it never recovers. The first time I tried this, in a different .blend, it gave me a BSOD. I looked but could not find the cause.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
Just have an object with only a Principled BSDF take up most of the screen when rendering.
The provided .blend is just the default new file with the render resolution set to 100% size and the with the camera moved close to the cube so it takes up the entire render window.
For me, blender crashes about halfway through rendering this .blend. On smaller resolutions, it hangs but finishes rendering before it crashes.