Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit
Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti
Short description of error
After previewed and cached the simulation, I cannot read back the cached files after hitting "Current Cache to Bake", instead I have to hit the "Bake" button to bake it all again(spend the same amount of time as the first time caching it). This way I can read back the baked files and use on any new objects. However It would be nice if "Current Cache to Bake" works so I can save some time on every simulation I have already cached.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Create a simple mesh(e.g. a plane).
- Add a new particle system.
- Set up a simple simulation(e.g. set normal velocity to 40 to simulate a fountain).
- Go to Cache tab, check Disk Cache, double click the cache and give a simple name(e.g. 001).
- Put timeline indicator to frame 0 and hit play, and then it will cache the simulation on a new folder next to your .blend file.
- After it is cached, hit "Current Cache to Bake".
- In the same Cache tab, check "external", locate the file path, and leave the cache file name as "001"(as you named it). Leave the Index Number to 0.
- It shall now indicate that "2 Points are Found!"(where you shall have 1000 points by default). If you hit play it will only play 2 out of the 1000 particles you have cached.
- Now return to Step 6, hit the "Bake" button instead of "Current Cache to Bake", the progress bar will show and it will take the same amount of time as your first time played(cached) the simulation.
- After baked, repeat Step 7, you should get "1000 Points Found!" now.