This proposes an unambitious template in 2.8, to have a heavily simplified Blender we can use as a starting point to iterate and work on the design.
For reference there is a much more involved design document by Mike Pan, there are concepts here which we may try to work towards still.
- Create a stripped down interface, similar to the current startup.blend:
- No timeline.
- No outliner
- Many panels/options removed.
- The following changes from the default:
- On-screen manipulators for the 3D view.
- Tools the user can select between (cursor, selection, transform)
- Ideally a library system for material & object presets will be included in this template, this will be added once the asset engine is merged into 2.8 branch.
- We may need to show the outliner by default, depends how layers work and if it's reasonable to hide them from users - for simple workflows.
View Navigation Manipulator
As shown in the design, this video shows the navigation manipulator. - now committed to 2.8x branch.