Page MenuHome

heavy lot of performence with MeshDeform Binding process
Closed, ArchivedPublic

Description

System Information
Windows 8.1 64bits, dual Geforce 780

Blender Version
Tried on several version

Short description of error
I've been working with MeshDeform recently and I notive some heavy lost of performance with the Mesh Deform Modifier. It makes the skinning workflow a lot more time consuming...

Something, it's working fine then you change some vertex position of the mesh deformer or the binded mesh and then you have to wait a lot longer. Between 4 to 30 minutes with a precision of 6. I never had that kind of probleme before.

So I tried to isolate the problem by making a simple .blend file a try it on several blender release.
Here is the .blend:

and the time it's take to bind the mesh with different blender version:
2.70 -- 00:16
2.75 -- 00:13
2.76b -- 00:11
2.77a -- 02:39
2.78c -- 03:12
2.79 -- 03:53
2.79aRC -- 00:40

So there is a big lost of performence with blender 2.77a
It's getting a lot better with 2.79aRC but not has great has with 2.76b

Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
open the .blend file and press "Bind" in the MeshDeform Modifier

Details

Type
Bug

Event Timeline

Ok. I've been reopening the file to recheck the results and now there are different.
Really strange behaviour.

I have to investigate more to understand if an other thing have influence on this. Maybe an other program that is taking the CPU computing power?

Sergey Sharybin (sergey) triaged this task as Needs Information from User priority.

Speed should rather be consistent for the same release. If same release gives totally different timings, something fishy is involved.

  • What is your CPU?
  • Check whether your system is swapping.
  • Check whether your system is busy with other processes.

Ok. I'll try to come back with more informations

And my computer at home is an i7-4770. Regular quad core running at 3.4Ghz (with 16go of ram)
I didn't notice any swapping problems or special use of the CPU by other applications...

Philipp Oeser (lichtwerk) raised the priority of this task from Needs Information from User to Needs Triage by Developer.

since some new information is given, I'll re-check this in a bit...

It's hard to give accurate enough informations about this problem.
Seems to happen when playing videos in Chrome. But I didn't find exaclty when it happen. I'm not binding meshes every days so I didn't had the problem lately.

Maybe it was a bug in Chrome eating to much memory or cpu power.

I propose to close this bug for now

Philipp Oeser (lichtwerk) claimed this task.

OK, archiving then, feel free to reopen when you find something reproducable...