Windows 10, Ryzen Threadripper, GeForce 1080Ti
Broken: 2.79 bb98e83b99e
Worked: Can't find a build that does
Short description of error
When baking normals in Cycles, using Extrude instead of a cage object results in incorrect shading on sharp edges. It appears that each face of the virtual cage is firing rays in the direction of its original normals instead of the extruded normals.
This is never the desired behavior for a cage, because the result is the same as what can be accomplished without a cage.
Using Extrude at a value of 0.1:
Using a linked duplicate cage object with a displacement of 0.1:
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Unwrap a cube, with margins.
- Create a second cube with beveled edges, marked sharp, and set to smooth shading.
- Bake the beveled cube's normals to the original cube with 'Cage' enabled and Extrude set to 0.1
- Create a linked duplicate of the original cube and give it a displacement modifier with a value of 0.1
- Bake the beveled cube's normals to the original cube with 'Cage' enabled and the cage object set to the duplicated cube
- Compare both normal maps