With the addition of Eevee, we had to update our built-in material preview, which didn't work with it. This has prompted a larger update to the material preview.
The project makes use of work done by Robin Marin (Tuqueque) who put together some new material preview shapes. This has been adapted for use in the material preview.
List of changes
- Added full support for Eevee (with an Irradiance Volume and Light Probe)
- Added Shader Ball, Cloth & Fluid preview shapes
- Removed the Monkey object. I think that the new shader ball is a better material preview object
- Replaced mesh lights with light objects, which work in both Eevee & Cycles.
- Added slight bevel to the cube
- Objects have more subdivisions for previewing displacement
- Fixed & improved UV mapping for all shapes
- Added the new icons for the new preview types
- Small changes to the Blender source code to support this new material preview
Here are some images that give an idea of what the new preview looks like. In this case Blender is set to Eevee:
Preview blend file:
Special thanks to Robin Marin (Tuqueque) who supplied the new preview shapes.
I would welcome some testing on this material preview with many types of materials.