- Please post any messages in the chrome web console https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/console/get-started#page
- Please run a network log from chrome and upload the har file https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204410413-Generating-a-HAR-file-for-troubleshooting
I tried with both Firefox and chrome, and the bug happens exactly the same, since I disabled hardware acceleration on chrome and it happens exactly like in Firefox which have acceleration enabled, I guess it's not a hardware specific problem neither software specific.
Oh, I guess I figured out.
It looks like a font rendering problem:
The source fonts Lato-Bold.wolf2 and Lato-Regular.wolf2 aren't rendering even in the preview from the browser
Roboslab and Fontawesome fonst are working fine.
The Blender manual and 2.8 API docs are not being built on the same machine, probably using a different sphinx version or font file version. Either Windows 7 (32bit?) or the font file has a bug.
I guess it could be worked around by using a different font.
The sphinx build shouldn't be a problem, everything down to the font-face definition in the css is correct. I think it's either a weird bug on @Jean Da Costa (jeacom256)'s system or the font file has some obscure error. The easiest way is to replace the Lato .woff2 files with a current version. That definitively won't break anything and possible fixes the problem, since the current version of Lato seems to render just fine.
The api docs are being compiled with a older version probably 0.3.x the official version that we have now is 0.4.x which included fixes to the font stack. Who ever is in charge of this build system needs to make sure that they use the versions that are defined in the requirements.txt file.
Am using debian testing packages, which seems to be 0.4.2 for the shpinx-rtd-theme one.
I think issue is rather within the API doc directory itself, we store our 'own' theme there, think it's just a matter of updating font file there and rebuilding… will try quickly now, otherwise that will have to wait for Sunday.
Hmrrpf no, looks like our theme dir is minimal and does not includes fonts and such… And can confirm that fonts on API doc server and those from my debian package are exactly the same… :|
Ah, so issue is with the ttf ones in the end? This report is really confusing :/
debian's fonts-lato is indeed from before 08/2014, they probably did not repackage since then, so I guess those could be faulty. Will overwrite my system's Lato fonts and regenerate the API doc then.
@Bastien Montagne (mont29) you must not have the latest version of sphinx_rtd_theme newer versions print the version number in the css and js files. (https://docs.blender.org/api/blender2.8/_static/css/theme.css) compare this to the master version: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rtfd/sphinx_rtd_theme/master/sphinx_rtd_theme/static/css/theme.css
Try running: pip install sphinx_rtd_theme --upgrade
@Aaron Carlisle (Blendify) I have Debian testing version, stamped 0.4.2, which should be more than recent enough! And the problem is not there anyway, am told it’s font issue, this is not controlled by that sphinx theme. And no, I don’t want to meddle with pip if I can avoid it, distro package manager shall be the only one needed here. Since when do we need bleeding edge tools to build the docs????
@Bastien Montagne (mont29) thanks for taking care of this. I would suggest using a venv for building the docs though, that makes it far easier to have the same versions as the main docs and perform upgrades as needed. No bleeding edge is certainly not required, but system packages may not be equal to the ones in available as pip package.
@Bastien Montagne (mont29) you obviously don't have 0.4.2 version of sphinx_rtd_theme the theme assets simply do not match 0.4.2. You can confirm by checking the output of pip freeze or this python script:
from sphinx_rtd_theme import __version__ print(__version__)
We don't need bleeding edge tools, however, in this case we (speaking with a Read the Docs contributor hat) recently updated the packaging of font assets and our font stack. So if we are having an issue with font rendering thats the first step to try to fix it, simply using the latest version.