Sorry didn't know where else to post it, so here goes:
Coming from other DCC backhound, heavy use of the outliner or object tree is paramount in any workfrow.
But in Blender as you may know, even simple selection from the outliner is counter-intuitive and a huge pain.
- You can't drag/multi-select objects or select everything between e.g.
- Can't navigate using keyboard, arrows still affect timeline, or rename elements using Return or double click.
- Unselected objects remain hightlighted / disassociation between hightlight and selection;
- Highlight in outliner != selection, if I press A in outliner, all objects are hightlighted but not all are selected.
- You can't select while in Edit mode.
- Can't drag to unparent.
- No many contextual actions, like Join, Copy, Duplicate, Export....
- Etc. etc.
In short the outliner is completely confusing, detached from the workflow and lacks a great deal of interactivity, it acts more like just a passive viewer of the scene and that's it.
Please consider doing something about this.
(example: 2.79b release)
(example: 2.80, edbf15d3c044, blender2.8, 2018-12-28, as found on the splash screen)