Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 1080 (417.35)
Processor: Intel Core i7 8700
Short description of error
Rendering in Cycles with both CPU + GPU can cause instant computer shutdown.
I can render the problematic scene with only GPU - no problem
I can render the problematic scene with only CPU - no problem
I can run two Blender instances and render one with CPU and the second with GPU - no problem
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
Based on an attached .blend file (as simple as possible).
I did localize problem in Cycles CPU + GPU rendering with material node "Ambient Occlusion" on some meshes (not all the time).
Different scenario of crashes exists too (common problem is always GPU + CPU rendering).
Scene without node "Ambient Occlusion" can crash too.
- Open my attached blend file in factory clean Blender
- in Preferences -> General -> Cycles Compute Device -> Compute Device -> CUDA -> GPU + CPU
- Render Cycles GPU + CPU, 3000 samples
- start factory clean Blender
- set the Render Engine to Cycles
- Device: GPU Compute
- Sampling Render: 3000
- in Preferences -> General -> Cycles Compute Device -> CUDA -> GPU + CPU
- delete Cube and create UV Sphere
- apply material with node "Ambient Occlusion" -> Principled Base Color -> Material Output.
- start rendering
- instant computer crash
In the problematic scene, when I change the UV Sphere to the Cube, Blender will render OK.
After computer crash, the rendered scene is sometimes corrupted and not possible to open again or "Append" from it to the clean one.