This design task is a WIP detailing our work on the Sequencer proxy system. For now, we are mostly interested in features that most improve the sequencer UX with minimal work. Feel free to add anything.
This should ideally be done for the 2.8 release (I don't exactly know the deadline)
Goals (in loose priority order ?) :
- Improve the sequencer proxy UI to make it easier for beginners to generate and use proxies
- Now that movie proxies only use avi files, we should remove all dead code associated with the generation of png proxies
- Prefetching with basic disk cache (@Richard Antalik (ISS)) ?
- Allow to pre-render a complex strip (think scene clip with a 3d render, or meta-strip) to see a smooth playback (1)
- Caching/prefetching/proxying in the Sequencer, with minimal changes to the API
- Small incremental patches (<500 LOC each ?) that each deal with a specific issue
(1) This was actually very easy to do before proxy support was removed for scene strips. Generating a proxy for a scene strip would simply render the scene and generate png's in the proxy dir. I think we should bring this pack (with another name, since proxy is reserved for movie strips), probably as part of disk cache or prefetching, or as a standalone option.