Design task to coordinate the sculpt/paint project. This is a curated list of items agreed on by module owners.
Order of importance:
- Very Important - These we should handle before the next release.
- Somewhat Important - These issues would be nice to do as soon as possible
- Less Important - Extra polish, nice to have
- ? Incomplete - Tasks needing more details before implementing.
Long Term Projects
Development may span multiple release cycles.
- T67518: New sculpting tools
- Layered and procedural texture painting tools
- Replace texture nodes system with shading nodes for brushes and modifiers
- T67520: Vertex painting in sculpt mode
Medium Term Projects
Development should be possible in a single release cycle.
- Improve TextPainting multi threading on windows T51133: Bad performance with texture painting depending on multi-thread settings
- Drawing Texture Painting Mask Improvement T66175: TexturePaint: Improve Drawing Face Mask
- D3594: New sculpting brush cursor
- LookDev: option to use the scene render engine T66746: Use External Render Engines for Look Development
Small improvements and polish.
- T63746: Add fade option for mask display in sculpt mode
- LookDev: Add a HDRI brightness slider to the pop-over (changing value will effect lighting conditions)
- LookDev: Add option to set the background color (Theme, World, Viewport)
- T55469: Include an Eraser Brush by default
Please note the next are still under discussion by the module owners. When agreed upon they will get a task and priority assigned to.
- ? Texture Painting: Redesign texture masking. Currently mostly useless or too cumbersome
- ? Image Editor: Option to view the material output as 2d image (realtime full shaded baking unwrapped). With option for available render passes
- ? LookDev: option to select the render passes that are displayed in the 3d viewport.
- ? LookDev: Background blurriness slider.
- ? LookDev: When using EEVEE; custom HDRI's should be able to cast shadows (detect and/or manually detect highlight)
- ? Texture Painting: 3D brush behavior with 2d falloff option, in stead of the current 2d projection painting
- ? Texture Painting: Performacne improvements to the Soften tool
- ? Texture Painting: Syncronize (both ways) Texture/image node selection between the 3d viewport, image editor and shader editor
- ? Image Editor: Orientate (rotate) the image in the image editor
- ? Image Editor: Add symmetry options for drawing straight (image/view) axis aligned strokes;
- ? Image Editor: Introduce a Overlay pop-over and move appropriate settings to this popover. (Display Texture Paint UVs, Stretching etc)
- ? Image Editor: Somewhat related is the drawing of the UV overlays; T62917: UV editor: Edge overlay not shown when edge overlay type is set to 'Dash'
- ? Image Editor: T63755: [UV] [Multi-Edit] Display>Stretch>Area doesn't work
- ? Brushes: Add rake option to tiled texture mapping for a 'paint roller' effect instead of the current stencil stamping
- ? Brushes: Add Lock Border option to all tools to optionally not affect borders while sculpting (for example smoothing a piece of cloth)
- ? Brushes: Add a depth setting and decouple the setting from the current brush radius.