I have legacy 3DS content I needed to import in Blender 2.80, so tried to restore the addon. Patch:
Tested it on ~200 items in my database. Didn't crash.
- Now creates Principled Shader based materials for Cycles/Eevee
Regressions (compared to 2.79 addon)
- Export does not work / is not registered
- 3DS texture mirror does not work
- The old addon assigned the texture/image to MeshUVLoops (I guess so that the image shows up in the UV editor). This was removed in Blender 2.80. Is there some alternative or are textures simple not applied to faces directly anymore?
- 3DS materials has ambient color term. How should we consider it? Maybe adding it to the diffuse color in linear space?
- 3DS materials has specular color term. How should we consider it? Maybe using its value for principled's specular input?
Maybe I'll find time to fix. the export as well, but that's not high on my priorities right now.