Operating system: Any
Graphics card: Any
Blender 2.80.74 aka rc2
Short description of error
Inconsistency in naming leads to contradictory info.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Open Blender
- Select an object on the scene (add one if you have nothing...)
- Go to Object properties panel
- Scroll down to Visibility
- Hover "Show in Renders"
- A pop-up info label reads "Globally disable in renders", so now you're not sure what happens if you check the box
- Check the box
- Open the Info Editor, the last line will read "bpy.context.object.hide_render = True"
So now we have three different nomenclatures for the same thing. Two that are contradictory within the UI and one that is the opposite naming of what's in the UI.
Instead of having properties named "show_name" and some others "hide_viewport", all such boolean properties could be named "show_function" or "enable_function" so that you don't have to negate the negation as in hide_viewport = False
Since Blender 2.8 is a breaking release, it is the time when you can implement coherent naming. After that, it's going to be much more difficult.
Of course that's by far not a priority since it doesn't break Blender.