There are various problems with the animation editor's channel list. Many affordances from the Outliner are missing here, making it difficult to select, navigate and see clearly what is selected. We can also optimize how you switch between visible F-curves, which currently requires users to manually enable or disable visibility toggles.
List of changes
- Add an option, on by default, to only show the selected channel curves. When enabled, don't show the eye toggle, since it becomes redundant.
- Update the channel list to behave like the Outliner:
- Hold Shift to do range selections (Ctrl to do normal extend)
- Highlight the entire row on mouse-over.
- Use arrows for walk-selection, also in combination with Shift to extend
- Filter the icon columns like the restriction columns in the outliner. For example, not everybody uses modifiers, so having a column of buttons to disable modifiers can be useless.
- Replace box-select with click-drag (like buttons). This will give more immediate feedback of which channels are selected, rather than seeing that feedback only when releasing the mouse.
- Auto-scroll the list back into view when all the list entries are outside the view (happens when changing selections)
- Auto-scroll the channel list when drag-selecting.
- Separate the eye toggle from the Graph Editor curve color indicator (D5882)
- Use alternating lines (see Outliner)
- Highlighted row should use solid colored background (see Outliner)
- Rolling over rows should highlight them (see Outliner)