Recently the ability to transform object origins was added.
Transforming objects while adjusting their object-data so only the origins move.
This design task is to plan further changes, see T69003: Transform object origins (adjusting origins, not the data) for the previous task.
- Support shape keys (mesh, curve & lattice).
- Support grease pencil object data. (Need to investigate grease pencil parenting and animation, if this needs special handling).
- Support image empties (Constrained to 2D).
- Support text objects. (Constrained to 2D, Only translation/scale can be supported, not rotation).
- Support mesh multi-res data.
- Collection Instances (Only translation can be supported).
Other Possible Improvements
- Support for snapping an object onto it's own geometry. rBdb851c78b4b3: Transform: support snapping origins onto the objects geometry
Currently disabled since the the geometry is assumed to be moving too - in the common case.
- Multi-thread applying transformation.
Since each data-blocks is isolated, these could be split between multiple processors.
Since this is new, we have to see how often users will access it.
- Should it be displayed more prominently in the header - instead of using a popover?
- Should it have it's own key shortcut?
Added shortcut rB6d87ad08a49f: Keymap: Use Ctrl-Period to toggle origin editing
- Should we display object centers differently when this is enabled?
Axes are now displayed when enabled rB7fee153bf5e3: 3D View: show selected object axis when affect origins is enabled
Currently object axis are temporarily enabled during transform.