Operating system: windows-10
Graphics card: nvidia
Short description of error
special characters in image names are treated differently depending on how an image is saved to file. the issue seems to happen on Windows-10 and on MAC. See also related report: https://developer.blender.org/T69064
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- open the blendfile
- from the top row of the UV editor select image -> save
- Check that the filename in the file selector input field is preset to "template:uvgrid.png"
- do not change the filename in the file selector box
- store the file to the file system
- check on the file system that the file is named "template" and has length 0 (actually this is a stream and not a file)
Now do the very same thing except in step 2:
- reopen the blend file
- from the top row of the UV editor select image -> save as ...
- proceed as described above ...
You see that blender now tries to replace the ":" in the filename by "_" as soon as you try to save the file.
I guess the correct behavior is to:
- either allow the ":" in the filename and never modify the filename automatically (let the user handle this)
- or always take care that no special characters can ever be used for filenames (let blender handle this)
the current mix seems to be not ideal :)