Operating system: Windows-10-10.0.16299 64 Bits
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 NVIDIA Corporation 4.5.0 NVIDIA 390.65
Broken: version: 2.81 (sub 4), branch: master, commit date: 2019-08-30 09:58, hash: rBf033fa0fbcfb
Broken: version: 2.80 (sub 75), branch: master, commit date: 2019-07-29 14:47, hash: rBf6cb5f54494e
Half-Broken: version: 2.79 Stable commit date: 2017-09-11 10:43, hash: 5db8ac9
Worked: version: 2.76 Stable commit date: 2015-10-11 06:55, hash: 48f7dd6
Short description of error
On recent releases the video sequencer is very slow at playing and scrubbing. Much more than older releases were.
Here I provide a benchmark:
2.81: average 12-15fps
2.80: average 12-15fps
2.79: average 20-24fps
2.76: stable 24fps
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Download the attached file:
- Inside the folder, you have 4 .blend files named as their respective blender versions
- Open each one with the correct blender version.
- Play to see the framerate difference.
- You must also scrub in the timeline to see the speed difference between the versions.
NB: I've done the framerate benchmarks with the four versions of blender opened simultaneously.
Let's use this task to focus on the difference between 2.79 default VSE settings and 2.80. The regression from 2.76 to 2.78 likely involve too many changes to track down. But the VSE default settings is something quite tangible.