While we definitely value and will stick to the non-blocking paradigm for the majority of cases, there are workflows that could be improved with the following suggestions.
This is especially pressing with the latest file browser changes which now uses a separate window, as well as for the the Preferences, Drivers, Info window and any other secondary windows opened manually by users.
In Blender, we already support basic multi-window functionality, but to make this work well, we’ll need to make some key improvements:
- Secondary and temporary windows should appear above other Blender windows, but not on top of all the windows of all other apps
- Temporary windows (open/save dialogs) could block the underlying windows until they have been closed or dismissed.
- Temporary windows should not steal each other’s windows
- Temporary windows should remember their last used size, and not reset to the default size every time they are opened.
- Bring all Blender windows to the front when the main Blender window is activated.
- Better activation behavior as the mouse moves back and forth between the windows (don't require a click to activate another blender window so shortcuts can be pressed)
- On Windows & Linux, don't let secondary windows appear in the task bar (main windows of course should still appear here)
Less important, but maybe nice:
- Make secondary windows use slimmer title bar, to make them visually different from the main Blender window.