Page MenuHome

Particle System missing on right eye when renderd via terminal
Open, Confirmed, MediumPublic

Description

System Information
Operating system: Windows-10-10.0.18362 64 Bits
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2 NVIDIA Corporation 4.5.0 NVIDIA 431.36

Blender Version
Broken: version: 2.81 (sub 12), branch: master, commit date: 2019-09-19 20:35, hash: rBc8df6f2cf9df
I tested also 2.8 and it's also broken.

Short description of error
If you render a stereo image via terminal and use particle system emitter/hair the particle are only visible on one eye (left).

Exact steps for others to reproduce the error

  • Add a second cube and make it smaller
  • Add a Particle System to the first cube, as hair, set "render as" to object and choose second cube.
  • In output properties enable stereoscopy. Set Outputfilename.
  • Save blendfile and start rendering via terminal, like this on windows:

C:\Users\simeo\Desktop\blender2.8_nightly\blender.exe -b C:\Users\simeo\Desktop\bugreports\stereo_terminal_bug.blend -f 1
Here's my blendfile:

Here's a comparison between rendered with and without terminal:

Details

Type
Bug

Event Timeline

Jacques Lucke (JacquesLucke) lowered the priority of this task from Needs Triage by Developer to Confirmed, Medium.Fri, Sep 20, 5:40 PM

This issue only seems to affect Cycles, can you confirm that?

Yes, I can confirm, that it's a bug only in cycles.

Dan (lpug21) added a subscriber: Dan (lpug21).EditedTue, Oct 8, 12:10 AM

I have been able to replicate this while rendering from the command line, but for a few days one of my files was having this issue while also rendering from the GUI.

My scene is complex, and is being rendered out in spherical (equirectangular) stereoscopic format. On cycles, affects both GPU and CPU render.

For anyone requiring a work-around for this bug, I have been able to successfully render from the terminal by rendering one eye at a time, and manually combining both left and right eyes into one image, after the render is complete.

Another possible workaround is the operator "make instances real". Execute, then deactivate the particle system. At least for rendering still images it worked for me, before I sent the file to our renderfarm.