In Blender, one of the core issues with brushes, is that they are currently stored inside the blend file. This is not very useful, because it puts a large burden on users to then manually save and load brushes for each project or blend file.
Instead, we would like for brushes to be stored centrally, so that they will be accessible from any blend file on the user's system.
Here's how this could work:
- Brushes are stored in a central location, much like LookDev HDRIs
- Adding or removing a brush will affect this central repository
- Any local changes to a brush is not saved unless users explicitly choose to do so, otherwise any temporary change would overwrite the main brush in the repo
- Brushes are stored as 1 brush per blend file, so it's easy to manage them and share them, but will be cached in an index for fast loading and browsing.
Note: For brushes to be more useful and work well, we will also need to;
- Create automatic dynamic previews of the brush, so you can see the opacity, spacing, texture, falloff, and so on. Otherwise browsing brushes will largely be a guessing game
- Have a way to see brushes for all tools, and let selecting the brush set the tool
- Have some way for users to categorize brushes (the primitive method would be to use file system folders - a nicer way could be via the asset browser)
- Should brushes tie into the assets system somehow, and should you be able to manage them in the asset browser?