Operating system: Windows-10-10.0.18362 64 Bits
Graphics card: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 NVIDIA Corporation 4.5.0 NVIDIA 436.48
Broken: version: 2.81 (sub 13), branch: master, commit date: 2019-10-04 22:33, hash: rBab519b91b2c4
Short description of error
The inset faces tool doesn't have the vertices track exactly along an edge. In many cases it's off enough to cause modelling problems.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Default startup file. Delete the cube.
- Add a cone, radius 5, depth 10.
- Go into edit mode and select all of the faces of the cone except the circle.
- The edge length of the long edge is sqrt(5^2+10^2)=11.1803398875. Inset the edges by that amount.
- Zoom in and have a look at the tip of the cone. The vertices are off significantly, not just a little bit. The vertices actually converge at around z=5.097 instead of 5, which is 1% off over a distance of 10m. Thus the inset faces tool is not tracking correctly along the edges. I think 0.5% to 1% error, depending on how you calculate it, is unacceptable for such a simple mathematical operation.
- This happens at any scale. Make the cone 50m radius and 100m tall and you get the same issue.