Operating system: Windows 10
Graphics card: GTX 1060
Properties Editor > Render Tab > Volumetrics
Right now the Eevee volumetric samples are capped to 256 volume samples max and 128 shadow samples max. With 128 shadow samples, regardless of normal render samples and volume samples maxed out, will almost always create strobing artifacts due to the lack of shadows samples unpaired to the raymarched volume samples when you move the camera with animation.
Upping the volume samples (optional) and shadow sample cap to double or the same level as volumetric samples reduces the prominence of this shadow raymarching issue.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Select cube, made a material
- Change material a principled volume with noise + high density (a color ramp to change noise edges will help also)
- Animate a camera movement with two frames, linear interpolation1
- Max out the volumetric samples in the render tab
- See strobing of shadows on render