Operating system: Any
Graphics card: Any
Broken: 2.82 (sub 1), branch: master, commit date: 2019-11-04 20:01, hash: ef7fd50f8a93, type: Release
Short description of error
HDRIs installed into Blender for use in Lookdev Mode don't offer an option to set their colour space.
- Blender probably assumes they are encoded in Rec.709, but this doesn't hold up if they're not.
- Alternatively, when using a different OCIO config, the Rec.709 colour space is almost never listed as just 'Linear', so Blender picks a different space from the config.
Both scenarios cause undesired hue shifts. This is most probably also true for MatCaps, but to be fair I haven't looked yet into how they work.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Install a differently encoded HDRI into Blender, for example one of the EXRs from the imageworks/OpenColorIO-Configs repo on GitHub.
- Switch the viewport to lookdev mode and activate the newly installed HDRI. The colours will have shifted.
- Start Blender using an alternate OCIO config, such as one from said imageworks/OpenColorIO-Configs repo.
- Switch the viewport to lookdev mode and try the HDRIs that ship with Blender by default. Those colours will also have shifted.