This is not a task only related to Grease Pencil, but also to any Paint mode.
As part of the Vertex Paint development in Grease Pencil, we have detected some missing features in Palettes and we have decided to fix it, because Palettes look a little outdate and without improvements for several versions.
Missing features/ WishList:
- There is no default palette.
- Swatches cannot be re-arranged
- Colors cannot be sorted
- Colors can't be named
- Palettes cannot be merged
- templatePalette control UI is outdated
- No ability to import palettes from other software
- No ability to export palettes to other software
- Missing easy way to create palettes from images
About default palette, in grease pencil we have implemented a default palette similar to Krita/GImp palette. This palette is required by GPencil, but it would be good idea to set this default palette in Texture Paint and Vertex Paint for meshes too.
Currently, I have solved the Sorting, Moving, Join and some Import modules in Grease Pencil branch, but the list above is the initial ideas.