This is not a task only related to Grease Pencil, but also to any Paint mode.
As part of the Vertex Paint development in Grease Pencil, we have detected some missing features in Palettes and we have decided to fix it, because Palettes look a little outdate and without improvements for several versions.
Missing features/ WishList:
- We haven't a default palette.
- Palette colors cannot be move up/down in the list.
- Colors cannot be sorted.
- Colors haven't name.
- Palettes cannot be joinned.
- templatePalette control UI is outdated.
- Lack of import palettes from other softwares.
- Lack of export palettes to other softwares.
- Easy way to create Palette from image.
About default palette, in grease pencil we have implemented a default palette similar to Krita/GImp palette. This palette is required by GPencil, but it would be good idea to set this default palette in Texture Paint and Vertex Paint for meshes too.
Currently, I have solved the Sorting, Moving, Join and some Import modules in Grease Pencil branch, but the list above is the initial ideas.