Operating system: Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 64 Bits
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 1070 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2 NVIDIA Corporation 4.5.0 NVIDIA 430.86
Broken: version: 2.82 (sub 6), branch: master, commit date: 2019-12-30 18:20, hash: rB56ef761381ec
Short description of error
Using box select is extremely unreliable while in Face select or Edge select mode (I didn't observe any problems in Vertex mode). It may end up selecting non-visible faces/edges inadvertently and with seemingly no pattern to its misbehavior or workarounds (shrinking range of the clip start/end doesn't fix it, enabling face centers doesn't fix it etc.)
This problem has existed for some time now but today I finally got fed up with it after losing several minutes of work again.
I'm using a hidpi 4k screen, using Blender's UI scaling of 1.0, and OS scaling of 2.0 in case this matters.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Start with default .blend
- Enter edit mode and Subdivide cube twice
- Switch to Face select mode (or Edge select mode)
- Attempt to box-select a variety of faces on the cube
- Notice that more often than not, extra faces which are not visible are still selected
Selecting all visible faces with box-select
Non-visible faces being selected :(
Non-visible edges being selected :(