Status: Multires algorithms are implemented, need work on Undo to allow sculpt on non-top level
Big picture: Support non-destructive sculpting in different levels of detail for skinned characters preserving a base mesh for baking and animation.
- Sculptor working in different resolution levels.
- Animation and playback of base meshes, in fully sculpted characters.
All the operations (Sculpting, Apply Base, Subdivide, propagation) should be using the same tangent space of the base mesh. This way there will be no inducted artifacts caused by differences between the way how old algorithms were calculating tangent space and how it's happening in the new subdivision surface code.
Propagation should be using Catmull-Clark smoothing of sculpted mesh and propagate changes to the top level.
- Memory/performance optimization
- Enable optimal display by default in subsurf and multires modifiers
- Don't allow editing Quality after subdivision is done
- Don't allow editing simple/catmull-clark and quality after subdivision is done
- Remove simple mode, and replace with a way to apply simple subdivision as an operation (modifying multires or a base mesh)
- Fix undo bugs for switching between multires levels
- Re-enable editing of intermediate sculpt levels
- Always auto apply base when sculpting, instead of having a button for it
- Investigate if propagation is need for edits in edit mode
- Investigate how to support "Apply Base" for meshes with shapekeys
Time estimate: 1 month