Status: Milestones are agreed on, needs per-milestone work plan tasks. Needs link to the video showcasing the current issues.
Big picture: Replace animation proxy system, and support local changes from linked data.
- Animators using proxies for animation.
- Multiple instances of the same character with different animations.
- Multiple instances of the same character with variations (e.g., material tweaks, ...).
- Set dressing with local variations of instanced assets.
- Override linked in character with cached animation [cache modifier]
- Access feasibility of auto-override - direct change of linked data
- Need storage optimization document
- Need final signed off design for outliner interaction
- Need final design for the ID template
None - underlying code is already implemented.
Milestone 1 - Usability Pass
- T76555: Library Overrides: Usability issues/paper-cuts
- T73154: Library Overrides - UI: Add access to the 'auto override' flag of IDs
- Enhance ways to add more than one overrides of same data (this is currently possible, but not obvious nor user-friendly at all).
Milestone 2 - Proxy Replacement
- Add an operator to convert from existing proxies to new lib overrides.
- Implement real override of Action data-blocks (not editing existing fcurves, but being able to add or delete some, and control drivers better).
- Implement real override of shapekeys data-blocks (not editing existing shapekeys, but being able to add new ones, and change influence of existing ones).
Milestone 3 - Storage Optimization
- Do not store whole Mesh data-block in overrides, this is useless and uses a lot of disk space (other obdata IDs are much less critical on that regard, being much lighter).
- ShapeKeys may need investigation here as well.
Milestone 4 - Material
- Solve issues related to the weird way materials are linked to object or obdata.
Milestone 5 - Remove Legacy
Removing proxy will only happen on some compatibility-breaking release, as we do not plan to have do-version for them. This is therefor a rather long-term goal.