Status: The core functionality is implemented, but it is not clear what we need to replace proxies once and for all. It needs polishing also. Proposed next steps to make this project complete:
- Usability pass (global place to track overrides, ...)
- Mockups of final workflow
- Map of shortcomes (see note)
- "How to replace proxies" plan
Big picture: Replace animation proxy system, and support local changes from linked data.
- Animators using proxies for animation.
- Multiple instances of the same character with different animations.
- Multiple instances of the same character with variations (e.g., material tweaks, ...).
- Set dressing with local variations of instanced assets.
- Override linked in character with cached animation [cache modifier]
- Partial overrides of modifiers
Time estimate: ?
Note: @Andy Goralczyk (eyecandy) did a video to show shortcomes of the current implementation. It needs to be converted to individual tasks, and we then link a parent task in the relevant links section.