Operating system: mac os 10.14.6
Graphics card: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
Broken: version: 2.82a, 2.30.0 release, 2.90 (sub 3), branch: master, commit date: 2020-05-24 21:18, hash: rB5db2d9c82b7f
Short description of error
as shown in the following screenshot, to use modifiers on a collection instance I parent the collection instance to a plane and change the instancing of the plane to faces, so that the collection instance will follow what modifiers will affect on the plane, but when using the mirror modifier with mirror object set to an empty at the center, the collection instance on the other side rotates 90 degrees on z axis automatically, which is not expected
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
open the attached .blend file and you'll see the problem
Steps if you want to recreate from scratch:
- Create a new collection, I will call it Suzzane.
- In the collection Suzzane create a Suzzane (Monkey Head) then disable the collection in the outliner.
- In the new collection, create an instance of the collection Suzzane by pressing Shift+A -> Collection Instance -> Suzzane. From now onwards, we will be working in this new collection.
- Create a plane. Select the instanced Suzzane then the plane and parent the Suzzane to the plane with Ctrl+P -> Object
- In the outliner, select the instanced Suzzane and hid it with the little eye icon.
- Select the plane and in the properties editor in the Object tab select Instancing -> Faces.
- Give the plane a mirror modifier and notice how to newly instanced Suzzane is rotated 90 degrees rather than mirrored.