Operating system: Windows 10 ver 1909 and 2004, Archlinux with KDE
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 1060
Windows: 2.83.0 211b6c29f771, from both official website download, installer and zip version both tested. Also tested with blender-2.90.0-e079bf6996fc-windows64, still can reproduce the issue. Archlinux: 2.83.0 211b6c29f771, package version17:2.83-1 from Archlinux official repo
Worked: (newest version of Blender that worked as expected)
Windows: 2.82a 375c7dc4caf4.
(all build hash are get from blender --version output).
Short description of error
Fresh install of blender 2.83.0 not able to save user startup file.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Make sure your computer never run blender 2.83 before, or by remove all the files under '%APPDATA%\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\config\' for Windows (or '~/.config/blender/2.83/config/' for linux)
- Open blender 2.83 by double clicking the blender.exe executable.
- Just delete the default cube.
- Click File>Defaults>Startup File, click Save Startup File.
- Close the program and re-open it.
- Check the result (the default cube is still there).
I notice that in the user config folder, there are no userpref.blend file get generated, so I checked my old blender user config folder and put the old userpref.blend file into the 2.83 user config folder, then I found that fixed this issue, the Save Startup File menu also works after that.
- Do the above steps to reproduce the issue first.
- Copy the working 'userpref.blend' file form my 2.82a folder '%APPDATA%\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\config\' (or '~/.config/blender/2.82/config/' for linux) to '%APPDATA%\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\config\' (or '~/.config/blender/2.83/config/').
- Open blender 2.83, and we can see the default cube is deleted which means it's working.
Also, here is the userpref.blend file I used for the above workaround.