Page MenuHome

Movie Strip not showing in video editing preview only sound is working
Confirmed, NormalPublicBUG

Description

System Information
Operating system: Windows-10-10.0.19041-SP0 64 Bits
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 NVIDIA Corporation 4.5.0 NVIDIA 446.14

Blender Version
Broken: version: 2.83.0, branch: master, commit date: 2020-06-03 14:38, hash: rB211b6c29f771
Worked: (newest version of Blender that worked as expected)

Short description of error
I was dragging and dropping my usual .mp4 file to my video editing project, the sounds are working but the video isn't showing. I tried the same .mp4 file in VFX project and it worked there. I

{F8632488}then tried to import the same video file using the add - movie strip but I got an error. Then I renamed the file containing the following characters: C​a​l​l​ ​o​f​ ​D​u​t​y​®​_​ ​M​o​d​e​r​n​ ​W​a​r​f​a​r​e​®​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ 2020-06-15 18-19-35. And it worked. Bare in mind I have 15 other movie strips carrying the same characters but different numbers. I am using an external drive. I drag and dropped the file (like I normally do) and the preview doesn't show. I copied the file to my computer and still the preview did not show. If I have a video with these characters, then the preview doesn't show: C​a​l​l​ ​o​f​ ​D​u​t​y​®​_​ ​M​o​d​e​r​n​ ​W​a​r​f​a​r​e​®​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ 2020-06-15 03-56-05 C​a​l​l​ ​o​f​ ​D​u​t​y​®​_​ ​M​o​d​e​r​n​ ​W​a​r​f​a​r​e​®​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ 2020-06-15 03-20-53 C​a​l​l​ ​o​f​ ​D​u​t​y​®​_​ ​M​o​d​e​r​n​ ​W​a​r​f​a​r​e​®​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ 2020-06-15 02-33-57 C​a​l​l​ ​o​f​ ​D​u​t​y​®​_​ ​M​o​d​e​r​n​ ​W​a​r​f​a​r​e​®​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ 2020-06-15 02-27-21. HOWEVER, if I have the following characters, the video preview in the video editing shows and works just fine: Call of Duty®_ Modern Warfare® 2020-04-26 21-00-17 Call of Duty®_ Modern Warfare® 2020-04-26 21-16-20 Call of Duty®_ Modern Warfare® 2020-04-26 22-10-30 and so on with previous dates. By renaming the rest of my new .mp4 files, all of them work correctly in the video editing sequencer.

Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
Open Blender
Select the blend.file that you are working on
drag and drop a .mp4 video to the sequencer with the following characters of the file name: C​a​l​l​ ​o​f​ ​D​u​t​y​®​_​ ​M​o​d​e​r​n​ ​W​a​r​f​a​r​e​®​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ 2020-06-15 18-19-35
Click play

Event Timeline

Richard Antalik (ISS) changed the task status from Needs Triage to Confirmed.Tue, Jun 23, 11:25 AM

I assume this will be issue in movie loading code somewhere since sound is working correctly.

Before classifying as a bug I will like to actually look at the code.

@Richard Antalik (ISS), are you able to reproduce the issue? I've tried renaming a lot of files here and everything still works correct.

What is most likely happening is that somewhere in either own or FFmpeg code non-widechar version of file operation is used, which makes it so files with non-ASCII symbols can not be opened on Windows.

In order to dig deeper we really need to have small video (could be default cube rendered with few frames) which demonstrates the issue. We can use it for debugging and to add to the regression set collection.

@Sergey Sharybin (sergey) yes, I was able to reproduce with following file: F8640318

@Richard Antalik (ISS), do you mind trying to download file and reproduce it again? Just to be sure phabricator doesn't "sanitize" the name in some way. Also, can you share your exact steps, maybe I'm missing something.
For me the file opens fine in both Movie Clip and Sequencer editors.

Hmm filename is messed up by phabricator. But if I change file name to C​a​l​l​ ​o​f​ ​D​u​t​y​®​_​ ​M​o​d​e​r​n​ ​W​a​r​f​a​r​e​®​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ 2020-06-15 02-33-57.MP4 I can reproduce.

I can open file though in movie clip editor, so issue will be on our side, which I suspect would be the case. I can look into this. Should be pretty straight forward to track how the string is processed.

As for steps, I just drag&drop from desktop to VSE or clip editor.

There are two aspects here:

  • Drag&drop does appear to work in Clip Editor, and in VSE it creates sequences but shows empty image. This aspect should be fixable.
  • Doing Shift-A -> Movie does not create a strip.

The reason for that is because the name contains some weird character sequences which don't appear to be valid UTF-8. They are ignored in Explorer, so can not really see them (is more sivible when doping dir in cmd). Those characters pushes full path past FILE_MAX define. And this is something where story becomes interesting. Technically, the constant is wrong for POSIX (where PATH_MAX is 4K AFAIR), but is also wrong for Windows, where wide-char API can deal with paths up to full NTFS 32K length.

Didn't manage to quickly solve this, there are some issues which are being discovered after increasing the constant.

The reason drag&drop works is because Win32 API sanitized path for us a bit, making it possible to open.

Realistically I think we should fix drag&drop case. The "overflowing" path is more of a limitation of the current design, which renders to "Known Issue".

Sergey Sharybin (sergey) changed the subtype of this task from "Report" to "Bug".Wed, Jun 24, 3:53 PM
Sergey Sharybin (sergey) moved this task from Backlog to Bugs on the VFX & Video board.