Operating system: Mac OS X 10.13.6
Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 M370X
Short description of error
The Paintmap Layer" and "Wetmap Layer" buttons should be checkbox, not "plus"/"minus"
This causes needless confusion by users and prevents the "Paint" feature of Dynamic Paint from working. Here is a Stackexchange post where a user encountered this problem: https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/157056/dynamic-paint-does-not-work-on-canvas-in-paint-mode/192797
In modern computer user interface design, the "plus" and "minus" symbols on a button are never used to indicate "activate/deactivate", or "on/off". In the rest of Blender UI, "plus" button is used to add elements to a list, while "minus" is used to delete a highlighted element in a list.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- In Object Mode, add an object to a blank scene (e.g. plane)
- Select that object by left-clicking on it.
- Click on "Physics Properties"
- Click on "Dynamic Paint"
- For "Type", select "Canvas", then click "Add Canvas" button
- Expand "Settings" by clicking on the arrow icon
- For "Format", select "Vertex"
- Scroll to the bottom of the properties window to "Output"
- Expand "Output" by clicking on the arrow icon
The two properties appear, with a text box and a "+/-" button next to them:
The design error is the use of "+/-" button instead of checkbox. The paint feature only works if the user realizes the "+/-" button is really an "on/off" switch, and clicks it: