Operating system: Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 64 Bits
Graphics card: GeForce RTX 2080/PCIe/SSE2 NVIDIA Corporation 4.5.0 NVIDIA 452.06
Broken: version: 2.91.0 Alpha, branch: master, commit date: 2020-09-15 09:04, hash: rB60fee7832342
Worked: Never, the manual was probably never updated for Optix rendering.
Short description of error
The manual describes Render Baking as if it's always available when using Cycles. The entire panel is hidden when using Optix, though.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Open the Rendering » Cycles » Render Baking section of the manual.
- See that there is no mention of Optix being incompatible.
- Open Blender.
- In Preferences, enable Optix rendering.
- Check the Render properties tab, and see that there is no Bake panel.
- In Preferences, enable CUDA/OpenCL/CPU rendering.
- Check the Render properties tab, and see that the Bake panel appears.
There is no indication that the Bake panel is disabled when using Optix, and the manual doesn't mention this either. I had to dig into Cycles' UI source code to figure out why the panel wasn't showing.