The Solidify modifier has two modes (simple and complex), with the main parameters (thickness and offset) being common to both. However, the results are qualitatively different when using the same thickness and offset in both modes.
Specifically, if the user enters a custom offset outside the [-1,1] range, the simple mode gives a reasonable result, but not the complex mode:
There is a simple fix, which appears to work.
Broken: all since the complex mode was introduced
Short description of error
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Delete one face from the default cube (makes it easier to visualize).
- Add a solidify modifier to it.
- Enter a value larger than 1 in the offset (click to edit).
- The resulting surface should be outside the original, with the specified thickness.
- Switch to Complex mode.
- The resulting surface has a different thickness and placement (offset) relative to the original.