BGL is a direct wrapper around OpenGL calls. The BGL module is
deprecated and since Blender 3.4 has been replaced with the
module. From this release it will not work when using the Metal backend.
Add-ons and scripts that uses the bgl module are warned about the
deprecation and should use the gpu
module in stead.
Registering classes with the names matching existing built-in types now raises an error (52f521dec4).
Node Group Sockets¶
Virtual sockets are the extra sockets added to group input and output
nodes. Previously connecting a link to them would create an input or
output in the corresponding node group. That feature was meant as a
UI/UX feature though, and is now implemented differently in Blender and
doesn't happen automatically. The correct way to add a group input from
Python is to use
Auto-masking settings were moved from brush to tool settings, for details see 4c182aef7c.
The internal storage of the optical center (principal point) has been changed in 7dea18b3aa to a normalized space.
The normalized space refers to coordinate
(0, 0) corresponding to
the frame center,
(-1, -1) the left bottom frame corner,
is the top right frame corner. This notation is available via
For some algorithms it is convenient to operate in the pixel space. For
those usecases the new
property has been added.
clip.tracking.camera.principal has been removed to avoid
ambiguous naming in the API.
An old bug where the effect of the Invert Vertex Group toggle of the Armature modifier was inverted when Multi-Modifier was active was fixed. (ea1c31a244)
Scripts creating complex armature modifier setups need updating to check the exact blender version:
Internal Mesh Format¶
The mesh data structure refactoring from earlier releases has continued in 3.5. See the similar section in the 3.4 release notes.
- The active and default (for render) color attributes are now stored as strings, making it easier to change them and access the correct attributes (6514bb05ea).
- Mesh vertex positions are now accessible via the builtin
- UV layers are now stored as generic 2D vector attributes on the face corner domain (6c774feba2)
MeshUVLoopPython type is deprecated and will be removed in 4.0. Its
datacollection member is also deprecated, replaced with separate collection members named
pin. Accessing the
datamember is emulated for backwards compatibility for now, but the emulation comes with a performance penalty (a82c12ae32).
- The sharp edge property is now stored as a generic attribute,
accessible with the
- Loose edge status is stored separately internally
MeshEdge.is_looseproperty is no longer editable.
- Loose edge status can be recalculated with
- Data access is generally faster than before when accessed with the attribute API (i.e. `mesh.attributes["sharp_edge"]), but slightly slower than before when accessed with the old properties.
Python bindings for the following libraries are now bundled with Blender, and available to use by add-ons.
- The users site-packages are now available by default without having to
ModifierData.execution_timeproperty that can be used for profiling and optimization. It's not exposed in the UI yet (8adebaeb7c).
object.modifiers.move()method for reordering modifiers without using operators. (f7dd7d5454)
- The active catalog of Asset Browsers can be changed via
bpy.types.FileAssetSelectParams.catalog_id, it's no longer read-only. (80249ce6e4)
- Custom node tree now have a default name set to