Tue, Mar 21
Sun, Mar 19
Revised patch direction since I botched it the first time.
Didn't know about that option either, that's amazing !
Why is it not turned on by default ? It's so intuitive and used in most applications of all kinds by default.
Mon, Mar 13
@Alberto Mardegan (mardy) I don't think it works for multiple instances of the sub-scene.
@Germano Cavalcante (mano-wii) sorry for the delay in replying, have been AFK on holiday. I agree that the recursive search every frame is not efficient. I ended up doing it this way in order to avoid changing any structs / file data, to make sure it was compatible with as much as possible. It would be much better to record the parent / child's pointers into the scene / strip struct at the point of adding the scene, and save this into the file somehow, rather than working it out from scratch every time.
Sun, Mar 12
This is essentially the same as T49261
Thanks for working on this!
I've spent some time trying to undestand how this works, and I got something which is more or less working, though for some reason the image in the sequencer sometimes is updated in the wrong way.
Sat, Mar 11
Sergey, forget my last question; I see that blender files are supposed to be both backward and forward compatible, so we cannot play tricks based on the blender version.
Ouch, this is quite annoying, I just hit this bug.
Ah no worries, I understand now. My question was poorly worded! Excellent, thanks for this fix!
Fri, Mar 10
Thanks, I will continue discussion in any other place. :)
The bug tracker is not for reporting issues in Blender like this, here we only handle bugs in the strict meaning of "something that does not work as was intended by development". For usablity issues and regular development I would like to forward you to the 'get involved' section on blender.org.
Thu, Mar 9
I've made a Image connection from the strip in C to the python interface through bpy.data.images . I was just trying to understand Blender code. But the idea is to generate or edit images from python interface.
Thanks Anna, I tried the same (using the Compositor) but working with Scenes strips in VSE proved to be extremely slow so in the end I resized the vids, kind of annoying the Transform strip uses cropped input :)
PS. I'm currently working around that by doing all transforms in the node editor. Input, Transform node, Composite node --> it outputs to a Scene strip in the VSE.
That works, although in many cases it would be much more convenient in VSE (especially if there's a lot of strips to scale, it gets complicated with nodes).
Any news on the potential new VSE engine Bastien mentionned? Did I miss it, has the topic been dropped, or is it beeing worked on for one of the next Blender releases?
This isn't a workaround, workarounds don't require patching & recompiling... thanks anyway
Workaround is available, yes:
More than a week without answer : closing.
Don't hesitate to reopen this ticket if you are able to reproduce.
This is on the TODO since forever now. I think it still hasn't been fixed in 2.78c?! Does anyone know a workaround please?
Wed, Mar 8
Tue, Mar 7
Mon, Mar 6
Well yeah, it's not so easy... I actually had to figure out again, why it's so problematic in detail, when I was writing this, that's a reason why it took so long...
Thank you for your thorough investigation & explanation! oof, my head hurts. :P Yeah, it doesn't seem ideal how it works now, but this else me understand what's going on under the hood. Are you suggesting the mix-down method to render, or should at least be rendering work okay now?
I took a better look at the patch, and there are some things that worry me.
The animsys_evaluate_fcurves function is used indirectly elsewhere in Blender, and referencing the pointer as a Scene does not seem very safe.
Also making a recursive function to look for scenes among all the strips does not seem at all efficient.
This is a clever solution, but it looks like a hack :\ (sorry)
The problem is that the f-curves are evaluated with the frame of the current scene and it seems that to solve we need a big refactor
Sun, Mar 5
Sat, Mar 4
Huh, well this is quite odd. I started a fresh blend from scratch using your audio, and everything pitch-wise was going fine UNTIL I moved the clip (with g). Then, all hell breaks loose and there is no way that I've found to get everything back in step.
Fri, Mar 3
Thanks for the prompt replies - and appreciate the congrats, Joerg! :D
Of course, but that would be a feature request so we cannot create a task on here. Perhaps on rightclickselect.com ? I could make a thread on there but won't have time to do it soon.
This is a good topic for discussion.
Maybe if we make a task, or put the ideas in a forum to see users' opinions. Then we can find out the best solution.
Yes, sorry about the coding style stuff... force of habit from the style used at work and in all my home projects! I just can't stop my fingers from doing C++ style comments. If people are generally happy with the functionality I'll reformat it (and make sure the patch still works against an up-to-date master).
I approve this patch :)
The changes are basically in anim_sys.c, which does not change and complicates much of the rest of the Blender code.
(Maybe just a little more Blender style would be nice)