//This document contains a list of the built-in assets we would like to include with Blender 2.8.//
When we have the list nailed down, we will do a community call for assets, so that we can go ahead and collect high quality assets.
Here are a few reasons why we want to include some built-in assets with Blender:
- It makes creating content faster if you don't always have to start from zero
- In music terms, assets serve as a 'backup band' for the areas the user is not focusing on. Animators can start animating quicker, and modelers can preview with quality HDRIs.
- It makes it easier to learn if you can pick apart well-made assets, or if you can start by using assets as building blocks.
==What about Blender Cloud & Custom Assets?
The built-in assets are meant to be a basic set of building blocks to get started, and not be a full blown asset library with thousands of large textures and heavy models.
The Blender Cloud will continue to serve as a full asset bank, and of course users can create and save their own assets too.
For inclusion in Blender, assets will have to meet some requirements:
We will only accept CC-0 licensed assets. These assets will be modified by users and used for real work. Therefore, we cannot expect users to credit the asset creators for these things. By submitting an asset, you must specify a CC-0 license for it to be useable as a built-in asset.
Since they will be built in, we want to keep the file size of the assets small. We plan on allocating 100mb of storage for this in total. In order to stay under this, built-in assets will have to only make use of small, lightweight textures, and meshes will have to be light.
//We will flesh out this section to be more precise//
* Glass prism
* Glass for architecture
* Car paint
* Human skin
* Transparent plastic
* Wooden floor
* Rough wood
* Cast Iron
* Toon Shader
* World HDRI
* Outside sunny
* Outside overcast
* Outside sundown
* Inside studio lighting 1
* Inside studio lighting 2
* Inside studio lighting 3
* Base mesh human head for sculpting
* Base mesh human male for sculpting
* Base mesh human female for sculpting
* Fully rigged, easy to use, low poly character for learning animation, with simple face
* Rigged bouncing ball with tail for learning animation